Jesus’ Miracle: Jesus provides in abundance (Luke 9:10-17)
1. Where did Jesus and his disciples go? What do you think they intended to do?
They went to the town of Bethsaida. The disciples had just returned from share the good news about Jesus in surrounding villages. Jesus probably wanted to spend some time with them to rest.
2. The crowds followed and found them though. How did Jesus react?
He welcomed them. Spoke to them about God’s kingdom. Healed those who were sick.
3. When the disciples wanted to send the people to find food in the afternoon, Jesus asked them to give the crowd something to eat. What were the disciples’ response? (See also John 6:7-9)
So many people (5,000 men + women + children). Only five loaves and two fish. Take more than half a year’s wages to buy bread for everyone to have a bite.
4. What were they focusing on?
The disciples focused on the problem and their lack.
5. Jesus already had in mind what He was going to do. He had the people seated in groups of fifty each. What did he do next?
Take the five loaves and two fish, looked up to heaven, gave thanks and broke them.
6. What was the result?
Everyone had more than enough to eat and were satisfied. The disciples also picked up twelve baskets of leftover pieces.
7. What can we learn from this lesson?
- Don’t look at the problem or your lack
- Look to the source, God, and give thanks
Memory Verse: Philippians 4:19 And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of His glory in Christ Jesus